I know what Doctors and Healthcare Professionals need to reach their potential, find direction, make lasting changes, develop their leadership skills, stay well, and to ensure lasting meaning, purpose and satisfaction in their working lives.
I began my own working life as a doctor in 1996 also with a first class degree in psychology. For the next 20 years I worked in primary and community medical roles, and in system leadership roles including at Board level as a Public Health Medical Consultant and Associate Medical Director, improving the health of whole populations, managing large teams through change, coaching, mentoring and developing people, and innovating and improving a wide range of public services.
I became increasingly interested in helping people to reach their potential, transforming their careers, and improving health at work, and now focus primarily on coaching mid-career and senior Doctors and Healthcare Professionals to flourish in their working lives.
I work from my own personal values of collaboration, partnership working, making a difference, and being supportive and empowering.
I combine an action-focused and evidence-based approach to transform and improve careers. I draw on my deep theoretical knowledge and unique skills set in my coaching practice, including applied psychology and neuroscience, my career in medicine and medical management and leadership, my skills in public health and wellbeing, occupational health, and my Board level experience. I offer a highly professional service, a deep level of listening, and a safe space for reflection.
Qualifications and Professional Practice
- Qualifications include: BMedSci (Psychology, first class) 1994, MBChB 1996, MSc (Health Promotion and Health Education) 1999, Fellow of Faculty of Public Health 2009, ILM7 Executive Coaching and Mentoring 2016, Diploma in Occupational Medicine 2017
- Member of the European Coaching and Mentoring Council (EMCC), (05344 IND4) and I abide by their code of ethics
- Member of other professional bodies, including the General Medical Council and the Association for Contextual Behaviour Science
- NHS Leadership Academy 360’ feedback tool facilitator
- Highly skilled in applied ‘third wave’ Cognitive Behaviour Therapies for leadership and professional development coaching, including Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), and ‘positive psychology’ (experience dependent neuroplasticity)- I’ve trained with world leading expert cognitive behavioural psychologists including Steven Hayes, Rick Hanson, Melanie Fennell, Joe Oliver, Paul Flaxman
- Member of several professional mentoring and coaching networks and was the coaching lead for my previous NHS organisation
- In regular supervision for my coaching practice, at least one hour per 20 hours coaching. I discuss coaching clients with a fully trained supervisor on an anonymous basis in order to continually improve my coaching skills
- Enhanced UK Disclosure and Barring Service certificate
- Registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a Data Controller- I take your privacy and confidentiality very seriously
- Insured for my mentoring and coaching practice
- In Continuous Professional Development for my mentoring and coaching skills development