Coaching for Doctors
Medical Leadership and Medical Career Coaching, Medical Career Counselling, and Mentoring
My coaching programmes for mid-career and senior doctors will help you to find increasing meaning, purpose, satisfaction and wellbeing in your career and working life. I can help you to develop as a leader, address any career, health or work-life related difficulties, make career decisions or change direction. These programmes are suitable for GP Partners, Consultants, Clinical Commissioners, Clinical and Network Directors, Medical Directors and aspiring Medical Directors, Clinical Chief Officers/ Chief Executives, Clinicians in system, national or international leadership roles, Clinical Chairs, Clinical Academics, or other mid-career or senior Doctors.
Drawing on my skills as an expert medical leadership and careers coach, medical careers counsellor and mentor, and my own career in a variety of medical leadership and management roles, these flexible coaching programmes are tailored to your specific needs. All programmes are available in person in my office in north Leeds or online through Skype. I blend mentoring into my coaching programmes where appropriate, the type of work we could do together includes any combination of the following: Medical Career Coaching; Medical Career Counselling; and Medical Leadership Coaching.
Medical Career Coaching for Doctors – minimum 4 sessions,usually every 2-4 weeks
- Understanding what matters most to you in your working life, finding professional satisfaction and career fulfillment and quality of life, and taking action to get more of what you need, starting immediately
- Making major or minor medical career related decisions- including whether to leave a job/ practice/ apply for a specific role; be clear on whether is this the right career choice for you; identify a new career direction within or outside of medicine; develop a portfolio career
- Improving your work-life balance
- Support to cope with and stay in your current role
- Burnout prevention, recovery, and taking ‘radical self care’
- Managing difficult thoughts and emotions at work
- Improving your effectiveness skills, managing projects and tasks
- Accelerating your career
- Developing plans to address any skills gaps
- Prioritising and surviving under pressure
- Working with difficult colleagues and improving relationships
- Planning the next steps of your career
- Learning to say no; being clear what you say yes to and why
- Understanding your personality and developmental stage, and what this means for your career
- Support to make a major career change (this would usually be a structured medical career counselling process as per below)
- Developing a later life career and / or preparing for (semi) retirement
- Understanding the impact of a neurodiversity condition and its effect on your working life (coaching for Doctors with Asperger’s, Autistic Spectrum, Dyslexia)
Medical Career Counselling for Doctors – minimum 4 sessions, usually every 2-4 weeks
Medical career counselling can help you when you are feeling lost, stuck, or confused about your future career direction. Unlike career coaching (which is not structured), medical career counselling follows a structured four step process delivered over 4-6 sessions. The steps are: exploring; clarifying; visioning; and moving forward with purpose. I provide guidance and support to help you to find a clear way forward based on understanding your needs and options, to help you to find a positive and re-focussed outlook, a high level of personal and professional satisfaction, and a rewarding future career.
Medical Leadership Coaching for Doctors – minimum 6 sessions, usually on a monthly basis
- Support to stretch and grow as a leader to reach your leadership potential, develop your capacity to take on greater levels of responsibility and complexity, be comfortable and effective in increasingly ambiguous and complex strategic and system wide roles
- Develop greater compassion, empathy and kindness for yourself and others
- Make sense of your own needs, your work context, and take action to make changes
- Manage your mind and emotions, understand what pushes your buttons, learn skillful ways to respond rather than react, build effective relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and staff
- Take ‘radical self care’ to prevent or recover from burnout
- Support to make a career transition and prepare for your next role, finding direction again when you are feeling unfulfilled or have outgrown a role or an organisation, planning the next chapter of your medical leadership career
- A safe space to grow into a new role when feeling overwhelmed
- Being authentically yourself in a leadership role, bringing your ‘whole self’ to the role, living and embodying your values
- Identify development needs using the NHS Leadership 360′ tool
- Develop specific leadership skills and competencies such as: giving feedback; delegation; managing tasks, time and attention; developing partnerships, networks and relationships; co-creating vision and direction; measuring progress and impact; prioritising under pressure; working with colleagues whose behaviour is challenging and with colleagues in difficulty; listening skills; asking skillful questions; noticing patterns
- Reflection on the content and context of your work, gaining new perspectives and insights on how you are making sense of your role
- Gain increasing skills to develop insight into other’s perspectives and sensemaking to improve your own and other’s effectiveness
- Be comfortable with paradoxes and uncertainty
- Be both a leader and a learner at the same time
- Support to take on long term senior strategic roles within organisations, systems, networks or matrices, with large and diverse groups of stakeholders, where the impact of your decision making is far removed from your direct control and the issues you are tasked with resolving are complex, challenging and rapidly changing
- Building great teams, organisations and systems, creating a culture of learning, growth and development around you so that your workplace becomes a place where people grow and flourish and deliver high quality services and their own best work
What Challenges Do Medical Leaders Face?
As a specialist in medical career coaching, many clients whom I work with are looking for medical career counselling specifically.
Please get in touch today if you feel you need medical career coaching or medical career counselling.